As you read in the course lectures, CULTURE IS…A set of attitudes, behaviors, and symbols shared by a large group of people and usually communicated from one generation to the next.
- Culture is used in every aspect of our lives
- The meaning of culture is relative
- Culture is an abstraction
- Culture is learned NOT innate
- Culture is a collective, shared experience
- Culture manifests in products (explicit)
- Culture creates meaning systems (implicit)
- Culture is a mode of transmission
- Culture is expressed in varying degrees
- Culture has historical context
- Culture is stable but not static
- Culture is learned
Most, if not all, of our “identities” have an attached culture. (race, class, gender, fandom, religion etc.)
Think of a culture you are a part of -no matter how niche or specific- and explain how it functions using at least 3 of the 12 points above?