Discussion: How much do you use Mass Media in your daily life?
We use mass media so frequently, in our daily life, it is hard to identify moments when it is not present. From the moment we wake up and check our phone, to opening a Web browser at work, to the radio during a daily commute, it is a constant, and consistent, presence in our lives.
Mass media can alert us to an important issue or distract us from something important. It can promote values and inspire us or portray images and messages that are stereotypical and degrading.
In this Discussion, you will consider how you use mass media in your daily life, identify what type(s) of mass media you use, as well as the pros and cons of that use.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Read the Communication Program Discussion Guidelines.
- Read “Intersection of American Media and Culture” located in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Watch each of the five videos located in this week’s Learning Resources.
By Day 4
Post a response that addresses the following questions:
- How much do you use Mass Media in your daily life?
- What forms of Mass Media do you use the most?
- What are the pros and cons of media usage?
Refer to the Week 1 Discussion Rubric for specific grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use this grading rubric to assess your work.
Read some of your colleagues’ postings
By Day 7
Respond to at least one of your colleagues’ postings in one or more of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question.
- Share an insight that you gained from having read your colleague’s posting.
- Offer and support a new opinion.
- Validate an idea with your own experience.
- Make a suggestion.
- Expand on your colleague’s posting.