Respond to the five questions below. Your responses should be a minimum of 5-7 sentences in length. Remember to use specific examples.
1. How does Douglass make the reader care about his narrative in “Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass?” Find three specific examples in the text and explain how these examples make the reader care.
2. Where in the story does Douglass use the rhetorical device of “unifying 2+2” as described in the Stanton video? How does Douglass make the rhetorical device work?
3. What would you say is Douglass’s spine? Discuss an example from the story that reveals Douglass’s spine to the reader.
4. Consider Stanton’s story. What is his spine? Discuss a point in the video where Stanton reveals his spine to the viewer.
5. What promises do Stanton and Douglass make to their audiences and how does each author fulfill his promise with regards to the narrative? (199) Andrew Stanton: The clues to a great story – YouTube youll have to watch the youtube video to answer the questions.
2+2 is asking how does the writer make the reader put the pieces together, how does the writer make the audience work for the solution.
and spine is the motivation of the character and what moves the story along.